St. Louis Veterans Benefits Attorney

The Department of Veterans Affairs website states that "if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions," you can get benefits for your disability. Therefore, as long as you have developed or suffered a disabling injury or condition while on active duty in the military, then you are eligible to receive benefits. Veterans of all kinds can apply, regardless of which war they served and whether they were involved in combat or not.

Military service men and women who have sustained a disabling injury or developed a disabling condition while on active duty can get compensation if they are unable to work or continue their service. This page discusses how veterans can qualify and apply for these much-needed benefits.

Qualifying for Veterans Disability Benefits 


To qualify for veteran's disability compensation benefits, a person must:

  • have a disabling injury or condition related to active duty service in the military

  • have a disabling injury or condition that was made worse by serving in the military

  • have been discharged under conditions that were not dishonorable

You may be awarded more benefits if you have:

  • a severe disability

  • lost a limb

  • a spouse

  • a child or children

  • dependent parents

  • a disabled spouse

Applying for Veterans Disability Benefits

To apply for VA benefits, you can:

The form you need is called the Veterans Application for Compensation or Pension, also known as VA Form 21-526. In order to receive additional benefits for family members or severe disabilities, include marriage certificates, birth certificates, and doctor reports with your application. 

As with any insurance claim, keep track of any paperwork, medical bills, and correspondence as it relates to your claim in order to get the maximum disability benefits.

You can estimate the amount of benefits you can receive by consulting the chart available from the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs

Appealing a VA Decision

To appeal a decision made by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the first step is to write a letter to your local VA office. There is no form to file an appeal; you or your attorney can write a statement that specifically outlines why you disagree with the decision on your benefits. This statement is called a Notice of Disagreement. You have one year to appeal. Unlike Social Security Administration, the VA’s decision is considered final after one year and cannot be reopened.